Located south of Pigeon Point, on an island separated from the mainland by channel at high tide, this site was picked for a fog signal station in 1868, which first became operational in 1872.
In 1890 it was decided to add a beacon to the station, which was placed atop an already existing structure that served until the early 1900's. The lantern was then removed from atop the old structure and placed on a steel tower that had been built next the original structure. In 1906 an elaborate keepers house was constructed that would be the envy of anyone.
In 1948, as with many other light stations, the government decided it was too expensive to continue to maintain the structures and the entire station was abandoned and left to the elements. Sea lions and elephant seals and vandals soon took over the island. Today, the island is part of the Ano Nuevo State Reserve.
This story appeared in the
July 2007 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.