Cape Spear National Historic Site
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 1268
Cape Spear is the easternmost point of land in North America. The lighthouse has been restored to its original appearance and refurnished as a keepers's residence to the period of 1839. This is the oldest surviving lighthouse in Newfoundland. In 1955 it was replaced by a concrete tower nearby.
Description of Tower: Tower on roof of two-story dwelling. Lantern dome is painted with vertical red and white stripes.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1836
Date Present Tower Built: 1836
Date Deactivated: 1955
Current Use: Museum.
Open To Public? Yes.
The Visitor Centre and lighthouse are open to visitors from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., May 15 to October 15. There is a small entry fee to the lighthouse, and an additional fee for a guided tour. The gift shop at the Visitor Centre is operated by the Newfoundland Historic Parks Association (NHPA).
Cape Spear is about six miles from St. John's. From St. John's, go west on Water Street to Leslie Street. Turn left at the lights and go over the bridge to the stop sign. Go straight through the intersection and continue onto Route 11, also known as Cape Spear Drive. At the end of the road is Cape Spear National Historic Site.