Search ||  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Name: Cape Bonavista Light  

Feedback to the database manager

Nearest Town or City:
Bonavista, Newfoundland, Canada

Location: East coast of Newfoundland.

Click to enlarge: Photo    Large photo
Photo: Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism
Related Photos

Managing Organization:
Cape Bonavista Lighthouse Provincial Historic Site

Telephone: 709-468-7444


Contact Address Information:
PO Box 8700
St. John's
Newfoundland, A1B 4J6, Canada

The original lighting apparatus for this lighthouse was relocated from Bell Rock Lighthouse in Scotland, where it had been in use since 1811. In 1966 the light was moved to a nearby skeleton tower, but the lighthouse has been restored as a Provincial Historic Site. As of January 2003, this is still a staffed light station.

Characteristic and Range: Flash 0.5 s; eclipse 9.5 s. (skeleton tower)

Description of Tower: Lantern on roof of keeper's dwelling; entire structure has vertical red and white stripes.

This light is operational

Date Established: 1843

Date Present Tower Built: 1843

Date Deactivated: 1966

Optics: 1843: 16 lamps and parabolic reflectors

Current Use: Museum, part of Provincial park.

Open To Public? Yes.

On the second floor of the lighthouse is an interpretive display featuring exhibits on the history of the lighthouse and its keepers. The living quarters have been furnished and decorated as they would have appeared in 1870 when Jeremiah White lived there with his son, Nicholas, the assistant keeper, and his family. Visitors may also climb into the lantern room to see the original optics. The lighthouse is open 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. mid-June to mid-October. Call (709) 729-2460 or (709) 468-7444 for more information.

The lighthouse is easy to reach by following signs from the town of Bonavista.

Keepers: Jeremiah White (1843-1876), Hubert Abbott (1923-1960).

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2023 Lighthouse Facts       Lighthouse History