Search ||  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Name: Curtis Island Light   Map it!

Feedback to the database manager

Also known as: Negro Island Light

Nearest Town or City:
Camden, Maine, United States

Location: Entrance to Camden Harbor, Penobscot Bay.

Click to enlarge: Photo   
Photo: Jeremy D'Entremont
Related Photos

Managing Organization:
Town of Camden


Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 1207
Maine, 04843, United States

The island was called Negro Island until 1934. The name was changed to Curtis Island after Cyrus H. K. Curtis, a benefactor of Camden. Under the Maine Lights Program the town of Camden assumed ownership of the lighthouse in 1997; the Coast Guard still maintains the optic. The island is a public park (boat access only); caretakers live on the island and maintain the light station. The fourth order Fresnel lens from the lighthouse is now on display at the Camden Opera House.

Tower Height: 25

Height of Focal Plane: 52

Characteristic and Range: Occulting green, four seconds (four seconds of green followed by one second of darkness), visible for 7 nautical miles.

Description of Tower: Cylindrical white brick tower with black cast iron lantern.

This light is operational

Other Buildings?
1889 1.5 story wood keeper's house, 1889 barn, 1895 oil house, 1889 boathouse.

Earlier Towers?
1835: Brick tower.

Date Established: 1835

Date Present Tower Built: 1896

Date Automated: 1972

Optics: 1896: Fourth order Fresnel lens; 1994: 300mm, solar powered. The original Fresnel lens is now at the Camden Public Library.

Fog Signal: Fog bell (now offshore buoy).

Current Use: Active aid to navigation, town park.

Open To Public? Grounds only.

From US Route 1 in Camden, turn right on Bayview Street. After a few blocks the lighthouse can be seen between houses on your left. Continue north on Route 1 to the Camden Hills State Park and drive or hike to the top of Mount Battie for a spectacular view of Camden Harbor, including Curtis Island. The lighthouse is best seen from cruises leaving Camden, including special lighthouse cruises on board the Lively Lady Too. See There are many other cruises leaving Camden Harbor; contact the Camden-Rockport-Lincolnville Chamber of Commerce at (207) 236-4404 for current information.

Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Keepers: M. K. M. Bowers (1836-1841); Ephraim S. Fly (1841-1845); Obadiah (Obediah) Brown (1845-1849 and 1855-1857); William Prince (1849-1853); Ebenezer M. Carelton (1853-1855); Andrew M. Annis (1857-1861); Isaiah Barbour (1861-1872 and 1873); Josuha Bramhall (1872-1873 and 1873-1879); Fred D. Aldus (1879-1882); Henry Wiley (1882-1896); Howard M. Gilley (1896-1909); Aldiverd A. Norton (1909-1919); Elmer Reed (1919-1938); Myrick Morrison (1938-1950); BM2 Carroll A. Hallowell (1950); Benjamin C. Stockbridge (1950-1951); Albert F. Osgood (1951-1959); Martin Jordan (Coast Guard lookout during WWII, 1942-43); Gordon Bruce (Coast Guard lookout during WWII); Joe Ash (Coast Guard lookout during WWII); Ted Keller (Coast Guard lookout during WWII); Betts Kiesel (Coast Guard lookout during WWII); Melvin Kirchoff (Coast Guard, ?-?); BM1 Jean B. C. DuBios (Coast Guard, 1959-1960); EN1 Richard Kwapiszewski (Coast Guard, 1960); EN2 Francis X. McCarthy (Coast Guard, 1960-1962); BM1 James H. Perry (Coast Guard 1962-1964); EN2 John R. French (Coast Guard, 1964-1967?); Jack Hamel (Coast Guard, c. 1967-1968); Thomas L. Christie (Coast Guard, c. 1968-1970); EM 2 Clifton W. McKenney, Jr. (Coast Guard, 1970-1971); FA Roy Fruschertz (Coast Guard automation crew, c.1971-1972); EM1 John Gustin (Coast Guard automation crew, c.1971-1972)

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2023 Lighthouse Facts       Lighthouse History