Bureau des Phares et Balises
Originally, two towers were built to distinguish this light from those on the English coast. The 1852 towers were destroyed by the Germans in August 1944. A single tower was built after the war.
Tower Height: 184
Height of Focal Plane: 180
Characteristic and Range: Two white flashes every 10 seconds, visible for 25 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Orange octagonal tower with a brown band and a white and green top.
This light is operational
1801: Two lights, about 40 feet tall. 1852: Two octagonal towers 820 feet apart, each 170 feet tall.
Date Established: 1801
Date Present Tower Built: 1951
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!