Alabama Historical Commission
Contact Address Information:
468 South Perry Street
The 1873 tower was replaced by skeletal tower in 1966 and dismantled in 1979. It was later reassembled near the entrance to Fort Morgan's visitor parking lot. Phone for Fort Morgan: (334) 540-7125. As of December 2004, the lighthouse is in storage awaiting restoration.
Tower Height: 30
Description of Tower: Black steel skeletal tower.
Listed on the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List of endangered lighthouses.
This light is not operational
1872 keeper's house (two story wood bungalow), small brick outbuilding.
1821: Conical stone tower.
Date Established: 1821
Date Present Tower Built: 1873
Date Deactivated: 1966 (1873 tower)
Optics: 1858 fourth order Fresnel; 1981: DCB 24
Current Use: Historic landmark.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
At Fort Morgan Historic Site, Route 180 West. Also accessible by Mobile Bay Ferry from Fort Gaines. Phone for ferry: (800) 634-4027.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Major Thomas Belton (c. 1820s)