Search ||  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Name: Charlotte-Genesee Light  

Feedback to the database manager

Also known as: Port of Genesee Light

Nearest Town or City:
Rochester, New York, United States


Click to enlarge: Photo   
Photo: Fran Davanzo
Related Photos

Managing Organization:
Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse Museum


Contact Address Information:
70 Lighthouse St.
New York, 14612, United States

This lighthouse was originally much closer to the lake. Sand has piled up around the nearby piers and formed a beach. The lighthouse was abandoned in 1884. In 1965 there was talk of tearing it down, but a letter writing campaign by local high school students saved the lighthouse. A new lantern was built by students from Edison Tech High School, and in 1984 the Coast Guard loaned a fourth order Fresnel lens from Cleveland, Ohio, and the light was reactivated. The lighthouse is owned by Monroe County and is on lease to the Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse Historical Society.

Tower Height: 40

Height of Focal Plane: 45

Description of Tower: Unpainted, octagonal, pyramidal rubblestone tower with black lantern.

This light is not operational

Date Established: 1822

Date Present Tower Built: 1822

Date Deactivated: 1881-1984

Optics: 1853: Fourth order Fresnel lens; 1984: Fourth order Fresnel lens.

Current Use: Active aid to navigation, museum.

Open To Public? Yes

The museum contains exhibits on lighthouses, navigation and local history. It is operated by the Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse Historical Society. It is open 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays from Mother's Day weekend to mid-October. The grounds are open daily, and group tours can be arranged at other times. There is no admission fee, but donations are gratefully accepted. Visitors are also welcome to climb the lighthouse tower.

From the Seaway Trail follow Lake Avenue north to the Holy Cross Church. The lighthouse and parking are behind the church.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Keepers: Cuyler Cook (?); Samuel Phillips (c. 1853), George Vivian Codding (1913 - Jan. 1, 1940; the light and fog horn Codding tended were at the end of the west pier, known as the Rochester Harbor Beacon. He lived in the keeper's house at Charlotte-Genesee Light.)

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2023 Lighthouse Facts       Lighthouse History