Carrabelle Lighthouse Association
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 373
This lighthouse was built as a replacement for Dog Island Lighthouse after it was lost in an 1873 hurricane. The keeper's house has been removed from the station and is now a private residence. The lighthouse is owned by the City of Carrabelle and is leased to the Carrabelle Lighthouse Association. The lighthouse has been restored. A replica of the keeper's house has been built that now houses a museum and gift shop.
Tower Height: 100
Description of Tower: Square pyramidal iron skeletal tower, lower part white and upper part brown, with black cast iron lantern.
This light is not operational
The original keeper's dwelling was moved two miles west of the lighthouse.
Date Established: 1895
Date Deactivated: 1995
Date Automated: 1952
Optics: 1895: Fourth-order Fresnel lens, now at USCG, 8th District headquarters in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Current Use: Under restoration.
Open To Public? Yes (occasionally).
Take US Highway 98 to Carrabelle. There is a small sign for the lighthouse on a dirt road to the left, and there is a parking area near the lighthouse. The lighthouse is open occasionally; contact the Carrabelle Lighthouse Association for information.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: James Albert Williams (1895-1906), Tip Warren, assistant (1895-1908), Albert A. Williams, assistant (1898-1906, then keeper 1906-1912), Charles Henry Williams, assistant (1906-1909), John Leroy Williams, assistant (1909-1911), Thornwald Hansen, assistant (1911), B. F. Tucker, assistant (1911-1912), Martin L. Boyed, assistant (?).