Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park
Contact Address Information:
1200 S. Crandon Blvd.
In 1835 the keeper of Cape Florida Light lost his wife and children in an Indian raid. The following year another keeper and his assistant were attacked in the lighthouse. The assistant was killed; the keeper was badly injured but was rescued by the crew of a passing naval vessel. The present tower had fallen into disrepair but a complete restoration took place between 1968 and 1969 and again in 1996 and 1999. The restoration included installation of a new lantern dome, a new stairway, new windows and repairs to the brick walls of the tower.
Tower Height: 95
Height of Focal Plane: 100
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 6 seconds.
Description of Tower: White, conical brick tower with black lantern.
This light is operational
1970 replica of 1846 two story brick keeper's house, also 1970 replicas of summer kitchen, outhouse and cistern.
1825: Conical brick tower.
Date Established: 1825
Date Present Tower Built: 1846
Date Deactivated: 1878-1978 and 1990-1996
Optics: 1855: Second order Fresnel lens; now 300 mm.
Current Use: Museum, private aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes.
There is a fee to enter the park; see www.floridastateparks.org/capeflorida/ for details. Guided tours of the lighthouse and lighthouse keeper´s cottage are given twice daily, Thursdays through Mondays; call 305-361-5811 for details. Children younger than eight are not allowed to climb the tower. Visitors are led through the furnished air-conditioned cottage and the cookhouse, now an air-conditioned video mini-theater.
In Miami, at the intersection of I-95’s Exit 1 and US 1 (“Key Biscayne” sign), take the William Powell Bridge (toll east only) and causeway to Key Biscayne. Continue on South Crandon Boulevard and follow the posted “State Park” signs to the park entrance. In addition to the guided tours, views of the lighthouse are available from the beach to the north.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: John Dubose (1825-1836), Reason Duke (1846-1852), Temple Pent (1852-1853 and 1866-1868), Robert R. Fletcher (1853-1855), Charles S. Barron (1855-1859), Simeon Frow (1859-1865), John W. Frow (1868-1878)