Cape Hatteras National Seashore
Contact Address Information:
1401 National Park Drive
This is the oldest operating lighthouse in North Carolina.
Tower Height: 65
Height of Focal Plane: 75
This light is operational
1824 two-story brick keeper's house (residence for park ranger), oil house, two storage buildings.
Date Established: 1803
Date Present Tower Built: 1823
Date Automated: 1955
Optics: 1854: Fourth order Fresnel lens, 1899: Fourth order Fresnel lens (still in use).
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
For information on visiting Ocracoke Island, you can call the National Park Service Visitor Center on Ocracoke Island at 252-928-4531. Ocracoke Island and the lighthouse can be reached by ferry from Cedar Island five times daily. Call 1-800-BY-FERRY for schedules, or call (252) 225-3551 for reservations. A ferry also is avialbe from Swan Quarter, with two round-trips daily. Call (252) 926-1111. In summer a free ferry is run by the state linking Hatteras Island and Ocracoke. It runs every 30 minutes. From the ferry dock head south for 12 miles into the village. Turn left on Lighthouse Road and follow to the lighthouse.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Nearby Lodging: Camping is available in the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. Call 800-365-2267 for reservations.