In 2014 the Northeast Lighthouse Preservation Group and the Town of North Hempstead, the Great Neck Park District, and the Great Neck Historical Society forged a public/private partnership to save the lighthouse.
Tower Height: 38
Height of Focal Plane: 46
Characteristic and Range: Occulting green 4 seconds, range 8 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Square brick tower attached to keeper's dwelling.
Listed on the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List of endangered lighthouses.
This light is operational
1.5 story brick keeper's dwelling.
Date Established: 1877
Date Present Tower Built: 1877
Date Automated: 1967
Optics: 1877: Fifth order Fresnel lens; now 300 mm optic.
Fog Signal: Originally bell with striking apparatus.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
This lighthouse is accessible by boat only; it can be seen from the Throgs Neck Bridge. It is just east of the bridge.
Keepers: Findlay Fraser (1877-?); John Ninde Buckridge (assistant, 1877-?); Ernest Bloom (1910-?); Charles A. Rogers (c. 1934); Edmund Fitzpatrick (c. 1945)