There was a land-based Demerara Beacon in the early 19th century, replaced by a lightvessel in 1844. The new Demerara Beacon, which had a dwelling, replaced the lightvessel in 1932. The beacon was rebuilt sometime before 1975, but appears to have been discontinued around 2000.
Description of Tower: 1932: Steel framework mast and dwelling on wooden base, 65 feet tall. Date unknown: White framework tower with a red band on a black platform on piles, focal plane height of 33 feet
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1932
Date Deactivated: 2000?
Current Use: Destroyed?
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!