Door County Historical Society
Contact Address Information:
130 N. 4th Avenue
The keeper's house at this light station, which is within Peninsula State Park, was restored in the 1960s. It now contains a maritime museum operated by the Door County Historical Society. On October 16, 2003 ownership of the light station was transfered to the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. It is leased to the Door County Maritime Museum.
Tower Height: 43
Height of Focal Plane: 75
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 6 seconds.
Description of Tower: Square brick tower attached to keeper's house.
This light is operational
Integral 1.5 story brick keeper's house, oil house, privy.
Date Established: 1868
Date Present Tower Built: 1868
Date Automated: 1926
Optics: 1868: 3 1/2 order Fresnel lens; 1918: Fifth order Fresnel lens; 1918: Fifth order Fresnel lens (300 mm optic mounted on gallery).
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, museum.
Open To Public? Yes.
The museum in the keeper's house illustrates what 19th century lighthouse life was like. There are guided tours of the lighthouse and museum in season.
Take Hwy 42 North to Fish Creek. Take a right at the stop sign. Park entrance is on the left in the heart of the village. For information on Lake Michigan lighthouse tours, call the West Michigan Tourist Association at (800) 442-2084 or visit their website at www.wmta.org. For reservations, call Brenner Tours at 800-338-5963.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Henry Stanley (1868-1883); William Duclon (1883-1918); Peter Coughlin (1918-1926).
Nearby Lodging: Camping is available at Peninsula State Park; call 920-868-3258 for information.