Village of Wind Point
Contact Address Information:
4725 Lighthouse Dr
Wind Point Lighthouse became the second of all Great Lakes' lights to be electrified (1924). The Tower was reopened as part of the 150th anniversary for the City of Racine in 1984 and tours were started in 1989. Over 1000 people waited in line to tour the tower on its first day open. The Coast Guard transferred ownership in 1997 to the Village of Wind Point, with the requirement that it be maintained as a historic landmark.
Tower Height: 108
Height of Focal Plane: 111
Description of Tower: White, conical brick tower.
This light is operational
1880 1.5 story brick keeper's house, 1900 brick fog signal building, oil house, garage, two storage buildings.
Date Established: 1880
Date Present Tower Built: 1880
Date Automated: 1964
Optics: 1880: Third order Fresnel lens; now DCB-24 for 35 years. Replaced in 2007 by Vega VRB-25..
Fog Signal: 1900: Steam powered fog horn (removed 1964).
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places