City of Frankfort
This lighthouse was built at the end of the old North Pier in 1912. In 1932 it was moved to the new North Breakwater and put atop a new base that raised it in height from 44 to 67 feet. In 1932 the former keeper’s house of the Chicago Pierhead Lighthouse was moved by barge across Lake Michigan to become the keeper’s house of the Frankfort North Breakwater Lighthouse. In 2012, under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act, ownership of the lighthouse was transferred to the City of Frankfort.
Tower Height: 67
Height of Focal Plane: 72
Characteristic and Range: Fixed white.
Description of Tower: White, square, pyramidal steel tower on square steel base; lantern roof and gallery are black.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1912
Date Present Tower Built: 1912
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
The lighthouse is on a breakwater near the western end of Main Street in Frankfort; it can be reached in calm weather by walking on the breakwater. There is a beach and parking nearby.