Dunkirk Lighthouse & Veterans Park Museum
Contact Address Information:
PO Box 69 - 1 Lighthouse Point Drive
In 1984 the site was leased by the Coast Guard to the Chatauqua County Armed Forces Memorial Park Corporation.
Description of Tower: Square rubblestone and brick tower, upper part painted white, with red cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
1875 two-story brick keeper's house, barn, storage building, garage, oil house.
Date Established: 1826
Date Present Tower Built: 1875
Date Automated: 1960
Optics: 1857: Third order Fresnel lens, still in use.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, museum.
Open To Public? Grounds and museum in house only.
The keeper's house is now a museum. The lighthouse and museum are open from April through October. See www.dunkirklighthouse.com/hours.htm for hours and fees.
The lighthouse is on Lighthouse Point Drive, north of Route 5 in Dunkirk.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: John B. Hall, Wilbur Gifford, John G. Cassidy, Henry Severance, James S, Comstock, Charles G. Harrison, Jefferson C. Richardson, Byron Rathburn, B. F. Averill, E. Depew Kane, Elias D. Hart, William Sinfield, Robert T. Taggart, John D. O'Connor, Peter J. Dempsey, Samuel A. Penfield, John T. McDonough, Andrew Fredenburgh, Tom Holton, Francis D. Arnold (c. late 1940s), W. Raymond Gannon.