Canadian Coast Guard
A lens and lantern from the original lighthouse are now part of a memorial tower at the Mariners Park Marine Museum in Milford, Ontario -- see entry for False Duck Island Light (old). This island is also known as Swetman Island after a family of longtime keepers.
Tower Height: 62
Height of Focal Plane: 72
Characteristic and Range: Flashing red every 4 seconds.
Description of Tower: Hexagonal concrete tower with red and white bands.
This light is operational
1828: White, conical 63' tower.
Date Established: 1828
Date Present Tower Built: 1965
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
This light can be seen in the distance from Prince Edward Point.
Keepers: Joseph Swetman (1828-?), Fred Swetman (1863-1886), W.H. Lane (1886-1891), P.M. Farrington (1891-1894), J.H. Hudgins (1894-1903), Dorland Dulmage (1903-1912), J.W. Hudgins (1912-1918), G.E. Hudgins (1918-1923), K.A. Duetta (1923-1924), J. Hutchinson (1924-1927), Elmer Bongard (1927-1928), Kenneth McConnell (1928-1957), James McConnell (1957-1965)