Save Esopus Lighthouse Commission
Contact Address Information:
Because of ice buildup over the years, the foundation of this lighthouse has become unstable and the building is leaning toward the east shore. The Save Esopus Lighthouse Commission (SELC) was founded in 1990 for the purpose of restoring and preserving the station. Ownership of the lighthouse was transferred to the SELC on September 22, 2002. Grants have been received from the Hudson River Improvement Fund, Greenway Heritage Conservancy, and the U.S. Dept. of Interior, enabling the group to complete structural engineering and architectural surveys and specifications. The group has done emergency repairs, extensive carpentry and shingled the mansard roof, and on May 31, 2003, the lighthouse was relit as a private aid to navigation after 38 years in darkness. Private contributions are essential to this effort.
Tower Height: 25
Height of Focal Plane: 58
Description of Tower: White, octagonal wood tower attached to roof of keeper's house, with white cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
Integral 1.5 story keeper's house.
Date Established: 1839
Date Present Tower Built: 1872
Date Deactivated: 1965-2003
Optics: 1839: Four lamps and reflectors; 1872: Fifth order Fresnel lens (removed).
Current Use: Under restoration, private aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Jeremiah Terpenning (1839-1842); William Wise (1843-1845); George Murdagh (1845-1848); Fitch Raymond (1848-1849); Marinus V. Van Nostrandt (1849-1852); Lorenzo D. Smalley (1853-1861); A.C. Van Wagenen (1861-1866); Charles M. Yates (1866-1870); Jonathan (& Sara) Cole (1870-1885); Omar Warren (1885-1886); Anna Warren (1886-1891); Augustus York (1891-1892); George R. Humphrey (1892-1903); John J. Dixon (1903-1904); Charles W. Oliver (1904-1907); Thomas J. Murray (1907-1916); Theodore De Shoug (1916-1926); Andrew A. (& Rebecca) McLintock (1926-1933); Emanuel (& Sylvia) Weber (1933-1936); Manuel (& Ellie) Resendes (1936-1944); John Olson (1944); John J. Bretz (1944); John J. Kerr (1944-1959); John F. Monahan (1958-1961); John A. Ciak (1959-1962); David G. Bennett (1960-1961); Godfrey H. Green (1960-1961); Leroy H. Barton (1960-1961); William R. Dooley (1961-1963); Stanley H. Fletcher (1962-1965); Alfred J. Vaughan (1963-1965)