Friends of Isle au Haut Lighthouse
Contact Address Information:
PO Box 41
Isle au Haut
The keeper's house has been in private hands since the 1930s. It was purchased by Jeff and Judi Burke in 1986 and they converted it into a bed and breakfast inn called The Keeper's House. The lighthouse was transferred to the town of Isle au Haut under the Maine Lights Program in 1998. An Isle au Haut Lighthouse Committee was formed, and the lighthouse was completely restored in 1999. The active optic is still maintained by the Coast Guard. The keeper's house was put up for sale in summer 2007. In 2013 the property was purchased by Dr. Marshall Chapman to again be operated as a B&B.
Tower Height: 40
Height of Focal Plane: 48
Characteristic and Range: Flashing red every four seconds with a white sector.
Description of Tower: Granite (lower part) and brick (upper part) white cylinndrical tower with black cast iron lantern, attached to mainland by walkway.
This light is operational
1907 2.5-story Victorian wood and stucco keeper's house.
Date Established: 1907
Date Present Tower Built: 1907
Date Automated: 1934
Optics: 1907: Fifth-order Fresnel lens; Now 250 mm, solar powered. Original Fresnel lens is now at the Maine Lighthouse Museum in Rockland.
Fog Signal: Originally fog bell and striking machinery integral to tower.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, bed and breakfast inn.
Open To Public? Keeper's house and grounds.
Isle au Haut is reached via a year round mailboat from Stonington, with four trips daily in summer. The lighthouse is a little over a mile from the town landing.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places