As part of a $2 million renovation, the lantern from the Scituate Lighthouse in Scituate, Massachusetts has been removed from the tower. A recent investigation found that the lantern had deteriorated to point where it might be blown off in high winds, which are frequent to the area.
This is the second time in the history of the 1811 lighthouse that it has been headless. After the completion and lighting of the nearby Minot’s Ledge Lighthouse, the government removed the lantern from Scituate Lighthouse in 1860. It remained headless until 1930 when the Town of Scituate had a lantern made and installed it in 1930.
The town will use the old lantern as a prototype to build a brand-new lantern that they expect to install sometime next year. It is hoped to eventually put the old lantern on display somewhere in the community.
This story appeared in the
Nov/Dec 2022 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.