Georgia’s Cockspur Island Lighthouse is going to need continued funding if it is to survive.
Extinguished as a lighthouse on June 1, 1909, it continued to be used as a daymark until 1949 when the Coast Guard abandoned it. In 1958, a presidential proclamation ordered the lighthouse to be turned over to the Fort Pulaski National Monument, but little was done for the lighthouse until 1995 through 2000, when major work was done to the tower.
Using donated funds, during the summer of 2021, a Fort Pulaski preservation team stabilized the masonry in the tower and replaced the windows and the door.
It is estimated that it will cost $100,000 per year to maintain the lighthouse and the oyster beds that the tower rests upon, a project that the Friends of Cockspur Island Lighthouse are looking for financial help with.
If you can help with a donation for the Cockspur Lighthouse, go to their website at www.CockspurIslandLighthouse.com
This story appeared in the
Nov/Dec 2022 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.