Point au Fer Reef Lighthouse
Built in 1916 on Eugene Island in the Gulf of Mexico near Berwick, Louisiana the Point au Fer Reef Light Station was discontinued in 1975. After the station was deactivated, the U.S. Coast Guard offered it to the South Lafourche Cultural and Historical Society in Thibodaux, Louisiana, but they did not want it. Without anyone to take it over, in 1976, the Coast Guard burned the station to the ground.
The Narrows Lighthouse was built in 1856 in outer Boston Harbor near Hull, Massachusetts. As with a number of other lighthouses around the United States, many locals called it Bug Light because from a distance it looked like a bug with long legs. On June 7, 1929, the lighthouse was destroyed by a fire accidently started by keeper Thomas Small, when he was using a torch to strip away paint. It was never rebuilt.
This story appeared in the
Nov/Dec 2022 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.