Cape Cod’s 1877 Nauset Beach Lighthouse has undergone a major restoration to its 48-foot-tall, 90-ton tower.
The work was paid for through private donations and funds from the Community Preservation Act that was approved by Eastham, Massachusetts voters. Although the lighthouse is now owned by the National Park Service, the work was done under the oversight of the nonprofit Nauset Light Preservation Society, the group that cares for the lighthouse and led the fund-raising effort.
The restoration work was done by an expert crew from ICC Commonwealth, formerly International Chimney Company, a firm that is famous for its moving of lighthouses and the restoration of them.
The current Nauset Beach Lighthouse was originally one of the twin light towers of Chatham, Massachusetts that was moved to the town of Eastham in 1923 to become the Nauset Beach Light, replacing an earlier wooden light tower.
In 1942, Eugene Coleman became the last lighthouse keeper of the Nauset Beach Lighthouse, serving until 1952 when the lighthouse was automated.
In 1996, the Nauset Beach Lighthouse was moved 336 feet away from the eroding bluff which had threatened to topple the historic structure.
This story appeared in the
Jan/Feb 2022 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.