ICC Commonwealth, formerly International Chimney Co., has completed restoration work that focused on the brackets supporting the lantern deck atop the East Chop Lighthouse on Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts.
The brackets needed to be replaced to restore the structural integrity of the walkway of the 1887 tower.
The tower is still closed to the public until the town of Oak Bluffs conducts a lead and remediation project in the soil around the lighthouse, which was automated back in 1933. The keepers house no longer stands, having been demolished many years ago. (Photos courtesy of Tyler Scriven and Tyler Finkle of ICC Commonwealth.)
This story appeared in the
Jan/Feb 2022 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.