The York Park and Recreation Department of the Town of York, Maine has completed Phase 4 of its restoration of the 1879 Nubble Lighthouse.
The Phase 4 restoration work, done by J.B. Leslie Company, which did all four phases of the work, included painting and repairs of the interior and exterior of the keeper’s house, rebuilding the back deck, replacing the rotten framing under the connector building, replacing glass windows, painting the tower’s battery room, and replacing the glass portholes.
The first three phases of the restoration project included exterior work on the enclosed walkway building which connects the tower to the house, remaking the trim-work, repairing and replacing gutters, repairs to the foundation, painting the tower, repairing the lantern railing, installing new roofs on all the buildings, structural repairs to the workshop building, rebuilding the picket fence, as well as various other projects. Total cost for all phases of the work was over $350,000, with most of that money coming from sales in the Nubble Light Gift Shop at Sohier Park that is operated by the town. All work was approved ahead of time by the Maine Historic Preservation Commission.
Jim Leslie of J.B. Leslie Company told a local reporter that he anticipates that future work next season will be routine preservation maintenance.
Nubble Light’s official name is the Cape Neddick Light Station and it is widely believed that it is the most photographed lighthouse of the New England states.
This story appeared in the
Jan/Feb 2022 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.