At 8:30 pm, on July 16, 1923 amid decorations of ferns, roses and sweet peas, standing beneath a bridal arch from which was suspended a bridal bell, Miss Helen J. Peabody, daughter of 1st assistant lighthouse keeper Arthur J. Beal, and his wife Mable, of Matinicus Rock Light Station, was united in marriage to Adolph J. Stevens, son of the late lighthouse keeper, Daniel Stevens, of Monhegan Island Lighthouse and his wife, Marie.
With a few modern edits added, a Rockland, Maine newspaper reported the event as follows:
“The services, which were performed at the assistant keeper house, home of the bride’s parents, in the presence of about 25 guests from Massachusetts, Monhegan, Matinicus, and Matinicus Rock, were performed by Rev. William Brewster of Matinicus, the single ring service being used. As the bridal party entered the parlor of the station, where the bride was given in marriage by her step-father, lighthouse keeper Arthur J. Beal, the “Bridal Chorus” from Lohengrin was played by Adora “Dora” Hilt, wife of Matinicus Rock Lighthouse head keeper Frank O. Hilt.
“In taking their place under the wedding arch, the couple and their attendants were preceded by Eleanor M. Beal, step-sister of the bride and daughter of lighthouse keeper A.J. Beal, daintily carrying the ring in a basket of forget-me-nots. The bride wore a gown of blue silk and carried a shower bouquet of roses, pinks and lilies of the valley. The bride was attended by her other step-sister, Miss Pauline V. Beal, as bridesmaid. She wore a gown of gray silk and carried a bouquet of island lilies. The bridegroom was attended by Freeman W. Beal of the Rock.
“The ceremony was followed by a wedding reception in which the couple were assisted by their mothers, Mrs. A. J. Beal, and Mrs. Daniel Stevens. The refreshments were in charge of Mrs. Theodore B. Walcott of Greenfield, Mass., sister of the groom, assisted by Miss Mary S. Peabody, sister of the bride, and Mrs. Freeman Beal, both of Matinicus Rock. There was the usual amount of fun when the bride cut the traditional bride’s cake. The wedding remembrances were many and beautiful.
“The bride came to Matinicus Rock from Jonesport with her parents in September, 1919. She has been a prominent member of the Light House family and a very active member of the Club, where she will be greatly missed. Everybody is very glad to learn that she expects to remain until fall. The groom, formerly of Monhegan Island, during the World War served as private of 22d Co., 151st Depot Brigade, U.S. Army. At present, he is working in the Light House department and is stationed at Seguin Light Station, where new engines are being installed. He is a very popular young man.
This is the first wedding ceremony performed on the Rock and was a delightful event. Hearty congratulations are extended to the couple with the hope that they may have many years of wedded bliss.”
Editor’s Note: The newspaper account
of the marriage of the young couple
stated that the groom’s name was
Adolph J. Stevens, however, public records indicate his given name was Joseph A. Stevens.
This story appeared in the
May/Jun 2021 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.