The Town of Marion, Massachusetts honored the 200th Anniversary of their Bird Island Lighthouse this past September 14th with a party. One of the highlights of the celebration was the release of a limited-edition commemorative coin.
Sales of the coin, which sells for $25.00 and includes postage, can be ordered from
Marion Town Hall
Harbor Masters Office
2 Spring St.
Marion, MA 02738
Sales of the coin go toward the ongoing maintenance of the 1819 lighthouse.
Because Bird Island Light-house had been decommissioned in 1935, there was no loss of life at the lighthouse when the 1938 hurricane swept the keeper’s house and all other buildings off the island. In 1996, under the leadership of Charles Bradley of the Bird Island Restoration Committee, the abandoned lighthouse was restored and relighted on July 4, 1997.
This story appeared in the
Nov/Dec 2019 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.