Not much has changed since the Lake St. Clair Lighthouse in the middle of Lake St. Clair in Michigan was completed and first lighted on June 18, 1941. Since very few people are aware of this lighthouse, here are a few photos that show what it looked like during construction and shortly after it was completed.
Although this was never a manned station, three men are shown on the deck with what appears to be a covered diesel generator on wheels. The structure on the right was a temporary light and fog bell that was used prior and during the construction of the primary tower. Prior to the construction of the new light tower, the site was marked by a remotely-operated lightship that did not have a crew.
This story appeared in the
Nov/Dec 2019 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.