The Head Keeper's dwelling, constructed in 1881, at the Tybee Island Light Station, Georgia, is now under restoration.
The two story wood frame building served as residence for the head keeper and his family from 1881 until George Jackson retired in 1947. Following Mr. Jackson's departure, the U.S. Coast Guard used the structure as Coast Guard housing until they left the Tybee Island Light Station in 1986.
The structure, though modified over the decades, remains mostly intact and early investigation has uncovered a large amount of historic wood fabric which will be restored to a varnished finish to reflect the 1916-1939 character of the interior. Once restored the house will be furnished to reflect the lifestyles of keepers and their families on Tybee Island prior to the U.S. Coast Guards management of the lighthouse which began in 1939.
Once restoration is finished the Tybee Island Historical Society plans on applying for National Historic Land Mark designation. The Tybee Island Light Station is one of America's most complete stations with a total of six support buildings. The tower itself was just restored in 1999. For more information on the Tybee Island Lighthouse you can visit their web site at - www.tybeelighthouse.org.
This story appeared in the
March 2000 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.