The first lighthouse to be built at the east end of Ediz Hook in the Strait of Juan de Fuca was established in 1865. Looking more like an old school house or church the structure served until 1908 when it was replaced by a new structure. The lens was removed from the top of the old structure and installed in the lantern room of the new lighthouse that closely resembled the design of the Mukilteo Lighthouse; in fact a man named Carl Leick built both structures. In 1936 the second Ediz Hook Lighthouse was no longer used as a lighthouse having been replaced by a light on a skeleton tower.
It is believed by some historians that the original lighthouse, minus its lantern room was moved and still stands today in Port Angeles. When the second Ediz Hook Lighthouse was no longer needed, its lantern room and tower were removed and the structure was sold and still stands today as a private residence in Port Angeles.
Today a modern Coast Guard station occupies the site of the former Ediz Hook Lighthouses, and the old lighthouses are now only photographs in the dusty pages of time.
This story appeared in the
April 2008 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.