The 1916 California Lighthouse in Aruba, a Caribbean nation that is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands and off the coast of the South American country of Venezuela, has been restored.
The major restoration was done by MonumentsFund Aruba, and the lighthouse will again be opened to the public. During the restoration, it was discovered that the original tower had only stone blocks, hewn on site from the island, as the exterior walls. The cement coating was not added until the 1930s.
The first order lens that was once in the tower has been located and will be displayed at a location yet to be determined. Currently, a flashing beacon is in place and acts as an aid to navigation for the local fishing and tour boats.
The lighthouse is being leased to Aruba Ports Authority and La Trattoria El Faro Blanco Restaurant, which is in the former lighthouse keeper’s quarters.
This story appeared in the
Jan/Feb 2017 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.