This past May, the Canadian Coast Guard demolished the 1899 Sambro Harbour Lighthouse. The lighthouse stood on land at the southwest side of the entrance to Sambro Harbor, Nova Scotia. Because it stood on an area known as Bull Point, it has been known commonly for many years as the Bull Point Lighthouse.
The old lighthouse had been in a state of deterioration for many years, and back in 1971 its lantern, which was falling apart, had been removed, leaving the lighthouse as a strange looking headless structure. Now the old lighthouse is gone and only remains through photographs that will keep its memory alive for future generations; some which are shown here.
Within weeks, the Canadian Coast Guard erected a new tower at the site, one that is similar to the original structure.
This story appeared in the
Jul/Aug 2016 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.