Headless Off Cohasset
Lighthouse Digest subscriber Margaret Pesaturo sent us this photo of a headless Minots Ledge Lighthouse that she took in May of 1987 after the lantern had been removed to undergo restoration. The lantern was later reinstalled atop the lighthouse. Sometimes spelled Minot’s, or Minot, the lighthouse sits in the waters off Cohasset, Massachusetts. When it was built in 1860, it was considered one of the top 10 engineering feats of the U. S. Lighthouse Service. Because of its light sequence flash of 1-4-3, interpreted by many as “I Love You,” it is known as the Lovers Light. Having been sold at a government auction for $222,000, the lighthouse is now privately owned.
This unique exterior photo taken by Lighthouse Digest subscriber Peter Elbert captures the Fresnel lens with a reflection in the glass of New York’s Fire Island Lighthouse. The current Fire Island Lighthouse was built in 1858 and the 1st order Fresnel lens is now on display in the Visitors Center. Fire Island Lighthouse is located on Long Island and there is a first class museum at the site.
Ecorse to Tawas & Gone
This old photo of Michigan’s Tawas Point Lighthouse came to us courtesy of Barb Wiggle from photos in the family album of Wallace and Leila Teeple, who in the 1920s and 1930s, were stationed at the Sturgeon Point and Tawas Point Life Boat Stations. To the right of the lighthouse is shown the assistant keeper’s house that was originally the keeper’s house at the Ecorse Lighthouse on the Detroit River and was moved to Tawas Point in 1922. However, in a total miscarriage of historic preservation, in 2002 the historic assistant keeper’s house was demolished, thereby destroying the last vestige of the Ecorse Light Station.
Good Reading by a Warm Fire
In referring to the January/February edition of Lighthouse Digest, lighthouse keeper Chris Mills of Canada sent us this beautiful photo with a note saying, “Lots of meaty stories and I appreciate the Canadian coverage. Good reading by a warm fire.” Thanks Chris!
New York’s Charlotte Genesee Lighthouse is depicted in this entry to this past holiday’s gingerbread contest that was hosted by the Rockwell Museum in Corning, New York. This one was created by Amber Colby of ‘Cuse Cakes of Dewitt, New York. She had some help from family members, James, Bailey, Zachary ,and Joseph Jerome. (Photo by Minette Van Dermark.)
West Quoddy & Chocolate
A model of Maine’s West Quoddy Head Lighthouse sits the lawn of Wilburs of Maine, Chocolate Confectioners in Freeport, Maine. (Photo by Karen Carlomano.)
Point Betsie Fog Horn
The 1894 fog horn building at Point Betsie Lighthouse near Frankfort, Michigan is dramatically captured in this photo taken by John Albin. The Point Betsie Lighthouse is one of the most photographed lighthouses in Michigan and has appeared on countless calendars. As a popular tourist attraction, the station is beautifully maintained by the Friends of Point Betsie Lighthouse.
Lens Polishing Cloth
Capt. Gene Davis, curator of the Coast Guard Museum Northwest in Seattle, Washington, shows off a lens polishing cloth that they have in their collection. Look closely and you will see the letters U.S.L.H.S. which stands for United States Lighthouse Service. Davis is a retired Coast Guard officer who has volunteered at the museum since the 1970s. He turned 86 this past January 27th. (Photo by Elinor DeWire.)
ANT San Francisco at Alcatraz
Members of the United States Coast Guard Aids to Navigation Team San Francisco posed for this group photo while on a visit to Alcatraz Island in California to learn the history of the 1854 Alcatraz Island Lighthouse. The current lighthouse tower at Alcatraz, which this group services, was built in 1909. ANT San Francisco is responsible for 569 aids to navigation, making this the largest of the eight Coast Guard Aids to Navigation Teams on the west coast mainland of the United States. (Photo by National Park Service Ranger John Cantwell.)
A Light at Niagara Falls
Melvin Wise of Niagara Falls, New York is shown here with his lighthouse facsimile. The thirteen-foot tall lighthouse has a revolving halogen light in the lantern and the windows also light up. Mr. Wise states that, other than the real Fort Niagara Lighthouse, his hand-built lighthouse is the tallest light in Niagara County.
This story appeared in the
Mar/Apr 2016 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.