Shown here in a 1932 photograph is the Michigan City East Pierhead Lighthouse in Michigan City, Indiana. But what is the small short lighthouse sitting on the pier behind it? Terry Pepper, Executive Director of the Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers Association, speculates, probably correctly, that the short cylindrical tower is the former Michigan City West PIerhead that was moved from the west pier in 1931 and stored behind the lighthouse on the east pier until it could be moved and possibly used elsewhere. At that time, a new red skeletal style tower was placed on the west pier.
This story appeared in the
Mar/Apr 2015 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.