Digest>Archives> Jul/Aug 2014

From The Archives: Only the Tower Today


You can see an enlarged version of this picture by clicking here.
>> Click to enlarge <<

Shown here is the Deer Island Thorofare Lighthouse in an early 1900s photo. Located on Mark Island in the Deer Island Thorofare in Penobscot Bay, Maine, the light station was built in 1857 and first lighted on January 1, 1858. Because of its location, it is often called Mark Island Lighthouse. This rare image clearly shows the fog bell tower at the lighthouse. On September 10, 1958, during the Coast Guard era, a battery charger exploded in the basement of the lighthouse, causing a severe fire, and the keeper’s house was declared a total loss. The Coast Guard decided not to rebuild and the station was automated. Today only the lighthouse tower with its small entryway building is the only structure left standing. The lighthouse is now owned by the Island Heritage Trust.

This story appeared in the Jul/Aug 2014 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History