Digest>Archives> Jan/Feb 2014

From the Archives: Armament Removal


You can see an enlarged version of this picture by clicking here.
>> Click to enlarge <<

This rare photograph of the Umatilla Lightship, taken on February 3, 1946, shows the vessel painted with the letters L.S. 88 on its bow. The vessel was in the yard of the Lake Union Dry Dock Company being made ready to return to lightship duty after being taken over by the U.S. Navy during World War II when she was stationed off the Strait of Juan de Fuca as an observation and patrol vessel. At the time this photo was taken, the three-inch 23 caliber gun, the three anti-aircraft guns, and the depth charge equipment, which had been installed for wartime, was being removed from the ship. Notice the long stairs going up and the plank used to board the vessel. Flying from the bow of the ship is a 48 star Navy Union Jack flag.

This story appeared in the Jan/Feb 2014 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History