After undergoing an extensive restoration North Carolina’s Bodie Island Lighthouse is expected to open for climbing this spring with guided tours that will be conducted by National Park Rangers. The tours will start sometime after the relighting of the famed first order lens, planned for mid-to-late April of this year.
The 156-foot tall Bodie Island Lighthouse with the two black and three white horizontal stripes, 22 feet apart, was built in 1872. The Bodie Island Light Station, originally called Body Island, was established in 1848 and the first tower was replaced by a new tower in 1859 that was destroyed in the Civil War.
This story appeared in the
Mar/Apr 2013 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.