Ownership of Florida’s Fowey Rocks Lighthouse has been transferred from one part of the federal government to another federal government agency. The 1878 cast iron tower, located in the water, ten miles south of Cape Florida, was automated in 1974. Ownership was transferred from the Coast Guard to the Biscayne National Park in a ceremony held on October 21, 2012 at the Convoy Point Visitors Center in Homestead, Florida.
This story appeared in the
Jan/Feb 2013 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.