The 1837 stone tower of Ned’s Point Lighthouse in Mattapoisett, Massachusetts has been restored. The restoration work was completed in the nick of time before Hurricane Irene moved in. The scaffolding came down just two days before the storm struck.
Overlooking Buzzard’s Bay, the Ned’s Point Lighthouse is located in an open park and the lighthouse is often used as a backdrop for weddings and other community events.
The tower originally had what is referred to as a “bird cage” style lantern room that was replaced in later years. In the late 1800s, plans were made to tear the tower down and replace it with an exact twin of Little River Lighthouse in Cutler, Maine. However, those plans never materialized.
In 1923, when Ned’s Point Lighthouse was automated, the keeper’s house that once stood at the site was moved by barge across the harbor to become the assistant lighthouse keeper’s house at Wing’s Neck Lighthouse. It is still standing today and is now privately owned. Folklore says that the last keeper, Russell Eastman, cooked a meal in the keeper’s house as it was being barged across the bay.
This story appeared in the
Nov/Dec 2011 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.