In 1967 Canada’s Nancy Island Lighthouse was built as a replica of the Collingwood Outer Range Front Lighthouse that once stood in the Georgian Bay of Lake Huron in Collingwood, Ontario, Canada.
The Collingwood Outer Range Front Lighthouse was part of a series of range lights that also included the Collingwood Breakwater Lighthouse, the Collingwood Inner Range Rear Lighthouse and the Collingwood Outer Range Rear Lighthouse. Sadly none of these lighthouses stand today.
The island where Nancy Island Lighthouse is located is named after the schooner Nancy that, for a time, was the only British vessel left on the Great Lakes after the defeat of the British fleet in the 1813 Battle of Lake Erie.
However, in August of 1814, the Nancy was located by United States forces and the vessel was burned and sank. Eventually silt formed a small island around the sunken vessel. However, in 1918 the remains of the Nancy were raised and put on display on what became known as Nancy Island.
In 1967, a replica of the Collingwood Outer Range Front Lighthouse was built on Tower Island, which is a small island next to Nancy Island and reached via a footbridge. The replica is now known as Nancy Island Lighthouse.
This story appeared in the
December 2010 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.