The upper portion of Nova Scotia’s Seal Island Lighthouse Museum has been closed off until repairs can be made.
Up until now, the tower, which is a half size replica of the real Seal Island Lighthouse, was open for climbs to the top of the five story tower for up close views of the magnificent second order lens that was in the original Seal Island Lighthouse from 1907 to 1978.
The original 1831 Seal Island Lighthouse still stands on Seal Island, however an aluminum lantern was installed in 1978.
The Seal Island Lighthouse Museum in Barrington, Nova Scotia, Canada, shown here in a photo taken by Jody Shook, is managed by the Cape Sable Historical Society.
This story appeared in the
August 2010 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.