Georgia’s St. Simons Island Lighthouse is undergoing a total renovation of its 1872 tower. The work includes removal of all interior and exterior paint, and then repainted; replacement of eight iron handrail posts at the top of the tower and new window frames.
Restoration of old lighthouse towers such as St. Simons is a constant battle. The light station was restored in 1989-91, and refurbished again in 1998. The current project is stated to cost $700,000 and is expected to be completed by the end of this month.
Great lengths were taken to protect the valuable Fresnel lens during restoration. It was bubble wrapped, shrink wrapped, and then finally enclosed in a wooden box.
The lighthouse is owned by the Coastal Georgia Historical Society which operates a museum at the site.
This story appeared in the
April 2010 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.