A log book used by lighthouse keeper William McKown of Maine's Burnt Island Lighthouse in Maine has been donated to the lighthouse where it was originally used nearly 150 years ago.
Donated by Steve Harght, McKown's great-great grandson, the logbook was used at the lighthouse from 1856 to 1860. Harght, of Marshfield, Massachusetts traveled to Maine and donated the log book to Elaine Jones, Education Director of the Maine Department of Marine Resources that cares for the lighthouse and manages it as a living history museum in the summer months.
The donation came about after Priscilla Daniels of Florida and her cousin Bob McKown visited the lighthouse on a tour several years ago. They introduced themselves and said they knew of another cousin, Steve Harght, who had possession of a logbook from the lighthouse. They contacted Steven when they returned home and one thing led to another and eventually Steve, along with his wife and daughter, made their first trip to the lighthouse and donated the log book.
For additional stories on Burnt Island Lighthouse refer
to the June 2004 and the August 2003 editions of Lighthouse Digest. Those stories can also be found on-line at www.LighthouseDigest.com by typing Burnt Island into the search box.
This story appeared in the
November 2009 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.