Digest>Archives> December 2005

Beacon Falls Rubber Shoe Co


You can see an enlarged version of this picture by clicking here.
>> Click to enlarge <<

Shown here is a 1909 receipt from the Beacon Falls Rubber Shoe Co. of Beacon Falls, Connecticut that recently came into the collection of the American Lighthouse Foundation.

The artworks on these types of old invoices and receipts from that era are works of art in themselves that is not

a common sight in today’s marketplace. The Beacon Falls Rubber Shoe Co. was apparently formed in 1898. By the 1920s, they were producing 5.5 million pairs of

shoes per year. The company was later absorbed by

U.S. Rubber Co., now Uniroyal. The old building shown

on the receipt is now a housing area and is on the

National Register of Historic Places.

Items like this show how the lighthouse was used to promote many products and businesses over the years.

This story appeared in the December 2005 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History