Digest>Archives> Jan/Feb 2004

Baldwin Wood Lighthouse


You can see an enlarged version of this picture by clicking here.
>> Click to enlarge <<

In the October issue of Lighthouse Digest we asked for information on the Baldwin Wood Lighthouse in Biloxi Mississippi.

We thought it might have been named or built in honor of A. Baldwin Wood who was the inventor who spearheaded the reclamation from swamp and developed the land. Some of his pumps have been in almost continuous use in New Orleans for over 80 years without need of repairs.

Until now, no one has come up with an answer, not even the local historical societies. However, Brenda Finnegan of Ocean Springs, Mississippi wrote to tell of about Pass Christian author, Dan Ellis, who in his book Lighthouses and the Islands of the Gulf gives a different story. He says the Howard Wood or Baldwin Wood light tower was privately built on East Beach in Biloxi to “shine on Wood’s famed racing yacht, the Nydia.” Wood bought the family estate from the Howard family, noted Biloxi philanthropists. In 1969, Hurricane Camille destroyed the 1875 structure.

This story appeared in the Jan/Feb 2004 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History