In late 2000, the Lewes Historical Society (LHS) in Delaware received the fourth order Fresnel lens that once served in the Delaware Bay’s Fourteen Foot Bank Lighthouse, a caisson lighthouse built in 1888. The lens, which is on loan from the United States Coast Guard, is now on display inside the Cannonball Museum and Marine Museum, which is owned and operated by the Lewes Historical Society. The LHS is actually a complex of a number of buildings, including the oldest house in the state (1665). The Cannonball House is so named because it was struck by a cannonball during a two-day British bombardment in the War of 1812.
For more information on the Fresnel lens exhibit and hours of the Lewes Historical Society, call (302) 645-7670, or visit their website at www.beach-net.com/lewestour/ltour15.html
This story appeared in the
June 2001 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.