The first keeper of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse was Adam Gaskins, appointed in 1802 and the last keeper was Unaka Jennette, who turned off the light at America’s tallest lighthouse in 1936. In between them were over 80 other keepers who manned the light at what has since become America’s most widely recognized lighthouse. During their tenures as keepers is a history that is interwoven with wonderful family memories of joy as well as tears, and amazing feats of bravery and heroism.
When the lighthouse was moved to its new location, left behind were parts of the original granite foundation blocks that the lighthouse stood on.
Through the volunteer efforts of the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society the names of all the keepers that served at Cape Hatteras Lighthouse have now been engraved on the stones as a memorial to these been who made the light their signature in time.
This story appeared in the
June 2001 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.