Digest>December 2007

Photo By:


Etta Smith

Photo Caption:

Chief Warrant Officer Paul Dilger (LEFT), commanding officer of cutter Abbie Burgess, stands alongside divers from the Coast Guard Maritime Safety and Security Team for a moment of silence around the memorial plaque honoring the fallen lightkeepers of the original Minot’s Ledge Lighthouse. On the third day of the archaeological survey of the remnants of the former lighthouse, the plaque was laid on the sea floor to memorialize lightkeepers Joseph Antoine and Joseph Wilson who lost their lives the day the lighthouse collapsed into the sea in 1851, just one year after its construction. The plaque was dedicated by the Foundation for Coast Guard History.
Back to the edition of: December 2007


Sunken History Revealed
Back to the edition of: December 2007

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History