Digest>May/Jun 2016

Photo Caption:

On August 16 and 17 of 1915, a hurricane tore away three quarters of the covered walkway that went around the lower section of the tower and caused other severe damage to the tower. The keepers reported that waves swept right over the top of the tower, and saltwater seeped into the cistern and ruined the fresh water supply. Reportedly, on August 19, when the keeper’s ran out of water, they left the lighthouse, but eventually returned with help to start making repairs. The keepers and others are shown here standing on the part of the lower walkway that had been ripped off the lighthouse. The lighthouse was painted red at this time. (U.S. Coast Guard photo, Lighthouse Digest archives.)
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2016


Pride in Workmanship Forgotten
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2016

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History