Digest>May/Jun 2013

Photo Caption:

This is the first truck used at Minnesota’s Splint Rock Lighthouse, Shown with the truck in 1924 are Marilyn Brookins (l), step-daughter of 1st assistant keeper Justus G. Luick, and sanding to the right is Beulah Covel daughter of Split Rock Lighthouse keeper Franklin J. Covell. Seated in the truck is Ileana Covell, also a daughter of keeper Covell. The dog, belonging to the Luick family and shown standing by the back tire, did not have the patience to pose for the photograph. The Model-A Ford truck was driven from Detroit, Michigan by a crewman of the Lighthouse Tender Amarath and delivered to the lighthouse in May of 1934. When the used vehicle was delivered it had 35,694 miles on it and records indicate that it needed constant repairs until it replaced in 1937 with a different truck. Little could these people have realized in 1934 that one day this would be a rare and historic photograph. Interestingly, there was no brass lighthouse or even a lighthouse image on the truck. (Photo courtesy of Lee Radzak, Split Rock Lighthouse, Minnesota Historical Society.)
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2013


Lighthouse Vehicles – Where Are The Photos?
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2013

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History